Friday, October 26, 2007

And off we go!

Having found myself spending much time thinking about what I am going to do with the tank I thought it would be a good idea to start a blog so I can track my progress, as well as to give others a chance to see what a reef build takes.

First off, the equipment I have and the space I am working with:

My tank is glass, unknown what type. Its 46 gallon bowfront, 36" length/20" tall/12"-17" wide.


I am currently using just a HOB filter box with carbon filters, used on this tank for about 4 years as a freshwater tank. The light is also that old.



When I set the tank against the corner, I get a space begind, approx 20" deep.


In the stand I have a modest space, 12" long/12" deep/ 27" tall.


I also created a plenum which I will be putting in when I get my sump.


Most of that equipment has to go, but as I have 2-3 months before I can buy the equipment I need to start the reef, I have chosen to start Fish Only With Live Rock. Thats just to get the cycle started and allow a good balance to the tank before I add in new Live Rock, allow that to settle, then add my first coral. The first coral wont go in for the first 4 months of cycling, and I really hope that is enough time for it to flourish. But, adding those corals is all depending on my test results.

So I now have about 15-20 lbs of LR, and about 20lbs of Base Rock (that large piece to the right in the tank was dry when I found it, and the guy at my Local Fish Store said it should be good for the "critters" from the LR to grow on it. Now, just cause I am the curious type, I want to start a photo-lineup of the rocks as I notice certain things.
For instance, on this piece of rock I have some purple and green colored fuzz. I dont remember if it was there before or not. So my adventures in, what I am calling, Jokers Fuzz begins here. Jokers fuzz! Ya get it? Purple, Green? Bah, you have to at least seen Batman!






I also have noticed some white and red "sticks" that appear to grow out of parts of the rock. I dont know if these are hitchhikers, but if so I hope they survive till I can get the lights.



So, my current wish list for equipment stands below.
Sump Tank: Acrylite, or similar, custom made tank, or 20 gal aquarium. LR filtering to tank, baffles, refugium, baffles, output.
Associated Plumbing: $100
Submersible Sump Pump: Mag 7, 700 gph
Wavemaker: SCWD Wavemaker - Switching Current Water Director $34.99
Protein Skimmer: AquaC Urchin Pro In-Sump Protein Skimmer w/ Drain Fitting + Rio 1400UL Pump $230.95
Lights: Solar T5 3x10k, 3x Blue Actinic, 6x MoonLED

No comments: